UI/UX Heuristics v2022-02-02
- Clarity MUST come first. This is the golden rule.
- Consistency SHOULD always follow. Some exceptions are OK, especially for dramatic effect.
- All availabe player actions MUST always be visually represented.
- Elements MUST follow a strict adherence to the grid. The grid is 8x16 and composed of 8px square blocks.
- Elements MUST be aligned to the north-west corner of a block, UNLESS it is a special case.
- “Margin” MUST exist only on the south and east edges of a block.
- Pixel column 128 MUST always be reserved for the scrollbar.
- Horizontal scrolling MUST never occur. Text MAY crawl horizontally, however.
- Only three levels may be used for UI: 0%, 50%, and 100%. Some exceptions are OK, especially for dramatic effect.
- “Active” elements MUST be 100%.
- “Inactive” elements MUST be 50%.
- CCI statistic numbers MUST be displayed with inverted “knock out” boxes.
- All menu actions MUST have an accompanying sound.
- “Eastward” actions MUST dive into more detail.
- “Westward” actions MUST rise away from detail.
Navigation Iteration 149:
Navigation Iteration 150:
Navigation Iteration 151:
Navigation Iteration 152:
Navigation Iteration 153:
Navigation Iteration 154 (approved):
Navigation Iteration 154 (grid):